Saturday 10 August 2013

Rendezvous With The Dentist


I had a dental appointment a couple of days ago. Nothing major, just a routine semiannual check-up and cleaning.

Despite knowing my teeth are in good condition, I was a little apprehensive. I always am, before going to the dentist. What will he say this time? Will I have cavities? Will I need drilling?? I’m at ease going for any other kind of check-up to the doctor: regular all-round check-ups, dermatology appointments, even to the gynaecologist. But going to the dentist? It freaks me out every single time.

Is this fear innate or learnt? It has got to be learnt, but it sure as heck doesn’t feel like it.

Yesterday’s appointment was at a dentist’s I’d never been to before. The place was small, but felt welcoming. I was pleasantly surprised. Of course, it helped that I couldn’t hear the sounds of drills drillin’ away; I feel like I get tooth ache by just hearing the drilling noises.

The check-up went quick, and the routine cleaning was just the way it’s always been. I survived a scare of potentially having to get my molars pulled; the x-rays showed they needn’t be. The thought of having to maybe get rid of two (or four!) quite healthy teeth with humungous roots did nothing to ease my intimidation of dentists and dental anything.

This time, however, my visit to the dentist was much more satisfactory than it usually is. I'll tell you why at the end.

The overall verdict was good. I was told to keep doing everything I already do: brush half an hour post meal, and floss daily. I was also told that since I don't have any cavities or immediate risk thereof (touchwood!), I can schedule my biannual checkup annually. That is good, because:
1) Have you seen how much dentists charge?? 
2) Health insurance does not foot the bill.
And
3) I don't like visits to dental clinics (so I will take care of my teeth).

Now, the reason why this visit was more satisfactory….
.
.
.
.
.
.

I had THE handsomest dentist ever!

via

Young, friendly, and attractive. I am already looking forward to my next appointment. The wonders having a good-looking dentist can do!

I'm sure we're all unanimous that eye-candy puts one in a good mood. Especially when the said eye-candy looks, smiles and talks to you (and you're allowed to look back!).

6 comments:

  1. I honestly can't imagine -- I've gone to the same dentist my entire life! But, your new guy is such a cutie... so I think you'll be okay. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe ;) I don't think I've gone to the same dentist for more than four years at a stretch...!

      Delete
  2. I've never had the opportunity to be in this type of situation. :) Handsome and skillful, what more can a patient ask for? Though I would have felt pretty uncomfortable with my mouth open the entire time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, that's the unromantic part that's best if ignored in these situations ;)

      Delete
  3. Definitely perks up a visit to the dentist! :-)

    ReplyDelete